Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Step 1 Take a Good Hard Look at Yourself in the Mirror



Step 1 Take a Good Hard Look at Yourself in the Mirror - The “Contemplation Stage”

All change regardless of the subject has specific, “Stages of Change,” no matter if we are discussing addiction (such as this page) or something positive like changing our eating habits. These basic stages are: Pre-contemplation (not ready), Contemplation (getting ready), Preparation (ready), Action, Maintenance. For more information on these stages this Wikipedia page is good.  To me if you are reading this and wondering the first step, you are most likely in
“Contemplation Stage” or the “Preparation Stage.” This is not to say that you haven’t to some level done “Action” or “Maintenance”, you just may be looking to take your progress up notch or find reasons to stick with this plant-based eating.

My thought is, most of us spend waaaayy to long in the ‘Contemplation’ stage. Don’t get me wrong, this is an important stage but, getting stuck here will prevent us from learning and taking action. It may also get us feeling to overwhelmed. So, if you are reading this and thinking, ‘I already know why I need to do this. I am motivated and want to start learning!’ Then go ahead and feel free to call ‘Step 1,’ “Completed.” Move on to Step 2 the “Preparation Stage.” I’ll be writing about it soon. In the meantime, start searching for the Internet, Book Store or Library on subjects like, Vegetarian, Vegan, Raw Food, Plant Based or Plant-based, Vegetable Based Proteins, etc etc. Don’t be concerned about remembering everything you learn, just read and start getting some new ideas in your head. I’ll help you with the ‘how-to’ part here in a little bit.

For the rest of you, lets make Step 1 as quick as possible, so you can start seeing some results!

Step 1, “Contemplation Stage” is really just that, finding the self reflective reasons to motivate you to want to learn more, with the idea of taking action at some point in the near future. For some the “Contemplation Stage” of switching to a plant-based verses meat-based way of eating is a simple mental list of reasons. This list can go on and on, but looks something like this: Think about the environmental impact on the plant. Think of the economical impacts your current meat based way of eating has. Think of the way animals in ‘factory farms’ are mistreated. Think of those you know who eat healthier and what benefits they seem to have. For some these reasons may be enough to motivate you to move to Step 2

But lets be honest; What really matters the most to us, is how things affect us personally!

Now is the time to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror!

Yes maybe literally. But more importantly, you need to do some serious self reflection!

Here’s a little exercise that can help paint a real picture to move you to the next stage “Preparation.”

  1. Get a blank piece of paper.
  2. Write your name in the middle and draw a circle around it.
  3. Draw a small line going off to the right and write the letters S A D (Standard American Diet).
  4. Circle S A D.
  5. Starting from the circle with your name, draw a second small line going off to the left and write the letters E P D (Eat Plants Diet).
  6. Circle E P D.
  7. Ask yourself the following questions and for each one, draw a line off your SAD circle and right some of the thoughts that come to your mind.
    1. How does my current way of eating make me feel? (happy, sad, comforted …)
    2. Why do I like eating meat, dairy, eggs?
    3. Where did I learn to eat and cook this way?
    4. If I continue eating this way what will happen to my body?
    5. What has become of my family members who eat the same way I am eating right now? (list some results; Pot bellies, Thunder thighs, Double chins, Tiredness, Heart attacks, Strokes, Cancers, Depressions, Early deaths, etc.)
    6. If I have the same habits as them, what future results can I expect to happen to me and my body?
  8. Now ask yourself the following questions and for each one draw a line off your EPD circle and right some of the thoughts that come to your mind.
    1. How do I feel about eating differently? (excited, nervous, intrigued ...)
    2. What foods will I still get to enjoy when I switch to plant-based eating?
    3. What do I need to learn in order to start eating and cooking differently?
    4. What resources can I go to right now, for more information about plant-based eating?
    5. What benefits might I get when I change my eating and cooking habits? (Clearer skin, Thinner body, More energy, Healthier cardiovascular system, Better moods, Better immune system to fight off cancers and disease, Better hormone function, making you feel happier, Possibly longer life)
    6. If I switch to plant-based eating, what future results can I expect to happen to me and my body?
Now take a look at what you have written down. This exercise is often referred to as ‘mind mapping.’ These thoughts that you have written down are a reflection of what you feel and believe to be true right now. As you look at this reflection of yourself, do you see good reason for change? Do you see the two paths laid before you? Which one is reflecting back to you the person you really want to be?

You should now feel motivated to at least make some small changes. You should also see some clear steps you can take right now to move you to the “Preparation Stage.” Awesome! Now let’s move to Step 2.

If you still feel a little stuck, then take time to mind map further. Exploring both sides writing down your thoughts and feelings for both paths. Take the time you need then. Move on to Step 2. I'll write about this step next. In the meantime, you can get started yourself by digging through my blog "Meatlessly Mouthwatering" and my facebook pages Meatlessly Mouthwatering and Eat Plants

No comments:

Post a Comment